Data Truths may sound like another fluffy concept, but it’s not. In reality, Data Truths are an integral part of our KSM products and media solutions. They are a solid ROI mechanism, and a way we remain people-focused in a complicated, dynamic media marketplace.
Let me explain: Every marketer knows we are living in a time of exceptional data growth—nothing new there. We have more granular data being collected through a wider range of approaches and technologies. We have data sets that are more tightly interwoven, and data sets that command more predictive power. The cut-throat and expensive data market reflects this fact, the press echoes the movement, agencies shout it from the rooftops, and marketers are competing with it in unparalleled ways.
Sure. Data is important—there’s no doubt—but there’s an interesting phenomenon happening with the notion of data-driven marketing: it has quickly become the answer to all questions and an end unto itself. Everything is a nail with a data hammer. This phenomenon is compounded by the momentum toward machine-learning, algorithms, artificial intelligence, and the like.
[Data Truths] combine the best of what data has to teach us with the best of human insights, and they power our products as well as our thinking.
Make no mistake, data-driven marketing is powerful and drives efficiencies and effectiveness in innovative ways. At the same time, we have seen a surplus of “dumb data”—data sets that lack precision, reliability, validity, and accuracy. We have seen many marketers focus on volume rather than quality. We have heard of smart data, thick data, big data, and more data. In reality, it’s all just data. But raw data lacks meaning, strategy, and business-building strength. It does not represent actions or critical decisions.
Alone, data is stagnant. The fix? Data Truths. At KSM, we shun data for data’s sake. Instead, we make sense of and provide value in a crowded and complicated data marketplace. We do this by going beyond basic insights to build robust truths. Truths fueled by the highest-quality data, which create the most value for a brand. They are holistic, often predictive, and business-building beacons. They combine the best of what data has to teach us with the best of human insights, and they power our products as well as our thinking. Data Truths accelerate brand growth.
So what are the five unique hallmarks of Data Truths?
- Data Truths are human: Although data sets have changed over time, the fundamentals of what it means to be human remain relatively constant. The data marketplace has distracted advertisers from this fact. Humans are emotional, relationship-centric, and multidimensional. KSM analyzes data from a human-centric lens first, and then an advertising lens. We start there. We ace that. And then the rest falls more effectively into place.
- Data Truths make meaning: A data set’s volume and variety may be robust but the improper implementation of it will erode its value. KSM focuses on data meaning and interpretation, not solely reporting. Data science is a powerful statistical tool, and data art is a powerful interpretive approach. Combining these approaches into Data Truths yields marketing intelligence, meaning, and value for our clients.
- Data Truths are action-drivers: Creating meaning from quality data sets requires us to prioritize the highest-value marketing actions. A Data Truth without an action plan is worse than useless. Every KSM Data Truth is measured against its actionability and, therefore, value contribution.
- Data Truths build relationships: Data Truths are honest and transparent in terms of strategy, activation, measurement decisions, and costs. Transparency and authenticity are two of our core KSM cultural values. Without those cultural cornerstones there is no trust in delivery, and therefore no way to foster authentic relationships. We’re talking not only about the authentic relationships Data Truths forge between your audiences and your brand, but also those they drive between your team, our agency, and our partners. Data Truths are the KSM foundation for these powerful alliances.
- Data Truths have ROI: To KSM, performance is our top priority. We make each marketing dollar work as hard as it can. Our Data Truths save money in activation by ensuring accuracy in strategic planning. Our analytics and insights solutions provide unique layers of Data Truths that create more effective ad placement. And our humanistic and scientific Data Truths help us capitalize on cultural changes early and consider longitudinal forces that create long-term competitive advantage. That’s how Data Truths provide our clients with a powerful competitive advantage that translates to meaningful ROI in the short and long term.
Data Truths are KSM’s answers to age-old questions such as, “Should I run brand building or direct response ads?” “Which target audience is most valuable?” and “What’s the most efficient and effective mix to drive ROI?” Data Truths are also answers to broader questions such as, “What’s the future of OTT?” “How will demography impact media consumption?” and “What is the value of data in a post GDPR world?” Data Truths build answers to questions big and small and are the catalysts for successful progress.
In essence, we use Data Truths to accelerate brand growth and guide our clients during a time of data noise. The strength of a scientific plus interpretative approach creates proven value for our clients, and drives us to continue to lead the marketplace. We are not just preparing our clients for the future, we are shaping it. And we do it with you.
Onward, Data Truths.