Smart media research can lead to planning strategies that maximize client budgets and generate results.
Product Launch: Contour Welt Work Boot
Work and occupational footwear sales had been declining for several years, primarily due to the lack of product innovations. Wolverine had experienced negative sales performance at a higher rate than the category overall. Wolverine was looking to enhance the value of the brand and re-establish their leadership position by launching their Contour Welt Work Boot, a new product that showcases Wolverine’s advanced technology and industry leadership.
- Create a larger-than-life presence for the brand, despite being outspent by key competitors
- Develop a compelling story and outreach to key audiences to drive trial and establish brand loyalists
KSM performed an analysis to determine the lifestyle, media usage and preferred programming/content of the core target audience. We then employed a multi-tier strategic approach to maximize Wolverine’s media impact, including:
- Focusing media investment over a concentrated period of time in-line with sales volume analysis
- Media mix included Network Radio, Syndicated Television, and Digital Display to provide retail coverage and effectively reach the core target audience:
- Targeted media impressions were based on the following factors:
- Lifestyle interests and pursuits
- The desire to reach consumers during their daily activities
- Industry / Occupation targeting (SIC codes)
Strategic Approach Cont'd:
- Extending exposure beyond purchased media via value-added tactics that capitalized on the cache of the media (on-air endorsements, links to micro-site, etc.)
- Development of an online sweepstakes with themes and prizing that appealed to Wolverine’s target audience:
- Contesting also incorporated a viral component where consumers could increase their chance of winning by getting friends to enter thereby accruing additional entries. The promotion both drove traffic to the Wolverine website and provided incentives to drive consumers to local retailers.
- Goal = 25,000 / Achieved = 35,992
- Goal = 15.0% / Achieved = 45.7%
- Sales increase = +6.3%